We get used to doing a lot of things every day that we don’t often notice time catching up to us. Tasks like walking, toileting, dressing, grooming, bathing, and even cooking seem very mundane and ordinary. Unfortunately, we may face difficulties doing these tasks as we age or encounter health problems. Our elderly at home experience the same, and sometimes the mundane things that seemed easy for them can be difficult because of factors such as age and other illnesses.
However, this doesn’t mean we can no longer help with their daily living. After all, having an elderly at home can be one of the most amazing things for any family, and we want only the best care for them.
Thankfully, we are more than capable of helping our elderly family members have more comfortable daily living. In this article, we’ll elaborate on some positive ways to help support and care for the elderly in their daily living.
Providing Positivity to our Family Members
Our need to provide positive emotional support to our loved ones has been a constant amongst families. Literature on caregiving roles and positive support says the kind of positive support we give our loved ones vary depending on factors such as family structure, culture, and even the condition our family members are experiencing. However, it remains that a huge part of treating our family members suffering ailments is to give them a positive atmosphere to further facilitate recovery. Thankfully, as their loved ones, we’re in the perfect position to foster support and care for our elders at home. Here are some of these ways:
- Exercise can foster better mental health. Just like how daily exercise can help us younger folk get energized, regular physical activity can help our elderly feel more lively. When our loved ones experience difficulties in mobility and moving around, simple exercises such as assisted walking around the house or places they like can not only help stimulate muscles but also help them feel more positive. The release of endorphins like dopamine when doing physical activity can foster a more positive feeling from our elderly.
- Great food can make our elderly feel better. Eating a healthy and well-balanced diet can help everyone feel better, and this applies to our elderly. Aside from making sure they eat their meals according to their diets, we should look into food that can uplift their spirits. Take note of their favorite meals, and check food for minerals such as B Vitamins, zinc, and even Omega-3 that can be great mood boosters. Remember to consult their physician before letting them consume these foods, though!
- Help them stay connected with friends and loved ones. Aside from great food and good exercise, it can really help our elderly to stay positive when they get to talk to people they love and care for. This means we should take the time to just visit our elderly and interact with them, as our companionship can help stimulate their mood and help them have a renewed vigor in life. If possible, you can have friends and family visit your elderly so they can catch up and get to know what’s happening around them.
- Keep them engaged with various activities. While our elderly can get better with exercise and interacting with friends and family, we should motivate them to do the activities they love. These can include hobbies they’ve previously explored before getting their condition, or even just new activities that can be stimulating for them and their minds. These include crosswords, writing, reading, and even watching great shows and films.
- Avail professional caregiving services to ensure care and support. One of the best ways to foster a positive atmosphere for your elderly at home is to avail professional caregiving services for their care. This lets them know that we’re doing everything we can to give them the best in care and comfort. Not only that, but the presence of a new person can be a fresh sight for your seniors, and can give them a renewed sense of vigor as they realize professional care can help them get better in the right way.
Care Plans Personalized for Your Loved Ones
Daily living for seniors can be difficult for them, especially since their age may come with ailments and other health concerns. If you want to provide help with daily living, you might not know where to start. Thankfully, you’re not alone in this situation. We at New Wave Home Care specialize in creating personalized non-medical care plans and services to aid in the daily living for seniors.
Our programs can help provide you or your loved one with the means to enjoy their lives without losing their dignity and independence. New Wave Home Care can provide round-the-clock care or the occasional helping hand, as our personalized care programs focus on aiding you and your loved ones with:
- Hygiene assistance and grooming, such as bathing and dressing, hair styling, and even incontinent care.
- Light housekeeping duties, such as laundry, dishwashing, pet care, and vacuuming.
- Chore assistance, such as meal preparation, accompaniment to appointments, and grocery shopping.
- Companionship and conversations, such as doing crafts, watching movies, and playing games.
- And other care needs you and your elderly at home may need.
We aim to provide only the best in personalized care, so you and your loved ones can continue living life to the fullest even with old age or other health concerns. Our New Wave Home Care team wants to show that life doesn’t stop when you face these challenges, and we’re here to help you overcome them.
We Bring the Best Care in Your Home
We at New Wave Home Care want to provide the best in care for you and your family. If you have questions and clarifications, please feel free to use our website’s chatbot and our voice assistant for your convenience. You may also reach us through our Contact Us page, where you can schedule a free consultation where we can talk about your concerns and any questions you may have about our services.